Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Navigation

All articles, quotes, and images are reprinted here strictly for educational use. I attempt to utilize this section as an archive of sorts. I have added no commentary or opinion. Wherever possible, I tried to provide a direct link to the source. Needless to say this section is under construction and the information herein will inevitably be moved to a dedicated site.

*
Luc Tuymans quote from
"Painting and Photography: Spot the Difference", by Martin Hebert in ArtReview (12/22/06):

After seeing a film I try to figure out which single image is the one with which I can remember all of the moving images of the movie. Painting does the opposite; a good painting to me denounces its own size so that you are unable to remember it correctly. Thus it generates other images.
*"Art Schools: A Group Crit...." (Art In America 5/07)

*"Art Schools: A Group Crit (2)...." (Art In America 5/07)


Alec Soth

"How can the needs of the student be better served? I wish I knew. All I do know is that the biggest single factor inhibiting education is the educational system. The problem is that as soon as alternatives are suggested, these alternatives become ossified into a different, but equally rigid, system – and I am well aware that criticism alone is not very constructive. Ideally, I would eliminate all examinations, the credit system, grades, and the declaration of majors. I would even dispense with degrees.
continued..."My recent teaching experience had wonderful moments. Some encounters with students were so good that I was ready to quit my day job. But this exhilaration was more than matched by some serious angst. It is dangerous, and for me devastating, to share my greatest passion in an atmosphere of wasteful apathy. Like a small drop of fixer spilled into the developer bath, this apathy threatens to spoil the whole creative process."

Jay Coogan, Provost RISD, RISD Convocation Remarks in 2007:
"RISD will not give you an education....It is not as armchair sport....A crucial part of art and design education has always been to learn to actively look rather than passively see."

John Baldessari: "Luckily I got into it when there wasn't any money" (role of art, money, schooling). ArtReview 1/3/08.

*Jerry Saltz on Art Criticism. Village Voice, 2005.

*"When Luc Tuymans Met Wilhelm Sasnal" (ArtReview 2/14/08)

*"When Luc Tuymans Met Wilhelm Sasnal (location 2)" (ArtReview 2/14/08)

*"A Quiet Crisis: Is There A Serious Breakdown In The Dialogue Around Contemporary Painting? Should Art Critics Get Back Into The Business Of Making Value Judgments?" (Art In America 3/1/03)


Quotes:

*Swiss Historian Jacob Burkhardt (1818-1897):
"The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity"


No comments: